Devry MGMT 591 Organizational Culture Latest
Background: Organizational Culture
It has become commonplace in the last 20 years to reference organizational culture as an inhibitor or enabler of significant organizational initiatives. While everyone talks about organizational culture, few people really understand it and even fewer know how to use culture to their advantage or how to change it. Organizational culture is the collection of relatively uniform and enduring beliefs, values, customs, traditions, and practices shared by an organization’s members and transmitted from one generation of employees to another. The expectations derived from organizational culture create norms of acceptable behavior and ways of surviving, fitting in, and doing things in the organization—just as our personalities influence our own expectations and actions.
Every organization has its own culture, and, as a component of its culture, a set of expectations or behavioral norms. The Organizational Culture Inventory (OCI) is a quantitative instrument that measures 12 sets of behavioral norms associated with three general types of organizational cultures: (1) Constructive Cultures, (2) Passive/Defensive Cultures, and (3)Aggressive/Defensive Cultures. In the OCI, identifying the norms that guide members’ behavior can help us to describe a current culture, compare it to some ideal culture, and then use the gap between current and ideal to identify the need for cultural change in terms of outcomes important to your organization.
Assignment – ADHERE TO RUBRIC!
Select an organization with which you are familiar and complete the Organizational Culture Inventory (OCI) for that organization/unit.Then write an 5 page double-spaced paper (the title and reference pages do not count) in which you analyze the results of the OCI.Access survey in the “Week 6” tab.
The content of your paper should include, but is not limited to, information about the following topics:
- 1.Introduction: Describe the organization/unit you selected to study.(10 points)
- 2.Current Culture.Describe the culture of the organization/unit using the results of the OCI profile (30 points)
2-A. Cultural Type:a)Identify and discuss the organization/unit’s primary style (i.e., the cultural norm with the greatest extension on the circumplex or percentile), the secondary style (i.e., the cultural norm with the second greatest extension), and the weakest styleof the organization/unit. b) Comment on your impression about the meaning of the results. Copy the Circumplex from the web page and attach to this section of your paper.
2-B. Behaviors Associated with the Current Cultural Type:a) Describe the behaviors that are associated with your organization/unit’s current culture. b) Discuss the style definitions revealed in the OCI and reinforce these styles with your personal observations and experiences as part of the organization unit.
- Identify and discuss the behaviors associated with the primarystyle and reinforced by your organization’s current culture?
- Identify and discuss the behaviors associated with the weakeststyles and notreinforced by your organization’s current culture?
- 3.Targets for Cultural Change:Identify your organization/unit’s targets for cultural change.Targets are those cultural norms where the greatest differences exist (“Gap”) between the “Current Percentile Score” and the “Ideal Score.” (20 points)
- The online results will include a table that lists each style, the student’s raw
score (ignore this number) & percentile score, and then the Ideal percentile score. Transfer a copy of this table in your paper so that it resembles the targets for cultural change grid below.
- Subtract the percent in the Current Score column from the percent in the Ideal Score column for each of the twelve styles and record the difference in the Gap column.
- Identify targets for cultural change.
- What is the greatest Gap (difference between percents) between your organization’s Current Score and the Ideal Score? Explain.
- What is the 2ndgreatest Gap between Current Score and Ideal Score? Explain.
- For each cultural target, identify and discuss at least three behaviors that your organization/unit’s culture should encourage (where cultural norms are to be increased) and discouraged (where cultural norms are to be decreased) to close cultural gaps.
- 4.Potential Benefits & Risks of Cultural Change:Describe the potential benefits andrisks to efforts to change your current culture toward the ideal culture. For example, to what extent will the proposed cultural changes (30 points):
- Solve a “business problem” confronting the organization? (something that could work better — like enhancing the quality of products and/or services offered by your organization?)
- Improve members’ role clarity? Reduce the degree of role conflict experienced by members?
- Increase members’ satisfaction and commitment?
- Encourage members to work efficiently and effectively?
- Enable members to develop their capabilities and maximize their contributions?
- Require members to develop better teamwork, communication, and interpersonal skills?
- Produce anxiety, resistance, and conflict in the organization?
- 5.Conclusion and Reflection:a) Discuss your OCI results and your responses to the above sections/questions. b) Describe the value of this exercise to your personal and professional development. c) Close your paper with a statement of at least one question or goal this exercise suggests to you that you hope your work in MGMT591 will help you to address.(10 points)
IDEAL TARGETS FOR CULTURAL CHANGE GRID
|OCI Norms||Column A
Typical Ideal Percentile Score
Your Percentile Score
|Column A –
Devry MGMT 591 Organizational Culture Latest